Search This Blog

Monday 18 January 2016

Watch Prototype Failure

Drat! My watch prototype now only ever looks like this:


There's no response to anything and attaching the battery just causes it's voltage to drop to about a volt, which isn't good. I noticed that the battery voltage had started to drop quite quickly a few days ago, but after coming back from a weekend away I found it was completely dead, the battery at a low voltage and no way to resurrect it.

I'm not too surprised, as I was using rechargeable 2032 batteries and they run at 3.6V not 3V, and the PIC16LF707 has a maximum operating voltage of 3.6V. All would be OK, except that the actual voltage of a charged battery is about 4V, so i have been over-volting the part. So in a way there's good news as I know what the problem is. For the PCBs i have some PIC16F707 parts which I will use, they have a maximum operating voltage of 5V so should be OK. I think the power for that part may be a bit higher, but as I'm probably planning to use rechargeable batteries now that shouldn't be a problem. With the display active all hopes of a long battery life go out of the window anyway...

No comments: