Search This Blog

Monday 18 January 2016

Tripod Fixing

I bought a Manfrotto tripod ages ago and used it now and then. It's quite a nice smaller one that isn't too much of a pain to carry about. Unfortunately it fell over somewhere ( I forget where) and it broke. At the time I didn't have a 3D printer so fixing the plastic part that had broken wasn't really an option. Last weekend we went to the London Lumiere displays and I thought of using a tripod again as all the displays were turned on after dark. In the end I didn't use one, and got some interesting photos anyway.

I decided to have a go at fixing the tripod as it was useful now and again and would be a shame to throw away. So, after some OpenSCAD and printing I have this:





This is the clamp that broke attached to the tripod leg. I've got a drill bit temporarily holding it all together as the original fixing of the handle was done by hammering the brass rod into the handle. This is a pain and I've broken a couple of plastic fitting this way. If the only broken poart was this one then I'd be done at this point, but when I was trying to dismantle the leg I needed to take another part off, and hammering the brass rod out resulted in the plastic part cracking. So now I have to fix another part (slightly larger so I can't use the first design).

Anyway, the clamp seems to work OK, so the fix looks like it may work...

No comments: