Search This Blog

Thursday 7 February 2019

Crazy Paving Shelf

One of the advantages of having a few tools around is that you can do things quicker than with just hand tools. Example: I wanted to make a shelf, but rather than cut a large piece of wood down, I joined small offcuts I had lying around into a larger plank. This was pretty easy using the band saw, tracing the shape needed from one piece to a piece below it. I then biscuit jointed where possible to provide more strength. Everything was then glued together.

After gluing, I ran it through the thicknesser to get everything flat then cut to size with the band saw again.

The glued shelf:


I then filled gaps with a mixture of PVA glue and  sawdust from the band saw. Once dry it was sanded thoroughly.

This all took time, but not that much. I managed to use offcuts that I would have probably eventually burnt. I'm going to try this again on more shelves I need to put up. Hopefully it will clear some space that the offcuts are taking up.


No comments: