Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 January 2019

Chocolate and Orange Hot Cross Buns vs Dualit Toaster


Toasters toast things, but when the things contain chocolate then they also melt things. This is fine if you eat chocolate infused thingies (I don't), but unfortunately when chocolate melts it also tends to escape. This happened in our Dualit toaster recently when some chocolate escaped onto the prongs that lift the toast up and down.

A quick cleaning attempt and I found that it was tricky cleaning those prongs as they are down in the toasting slots. No problem, I thought, I'll take the toaster apart and give it a good clean. Being a Dualit it is made to be repaired so should be easy to dismantle. A bit later and I found that yes, you can take bits off, but not all of them. Irritatingly the bits that need to come off to free the prongs have been pop-riveted into place. This meant that I'd have to modify the toaster to get the prongs out.

So modify it I did.

The pop rivets:


were drilled out and replaced with  bolts:


 This makes it a lot more fiddly putting the bits back together, but at least now I can get the prongs:


 out (and back).

 All cleaned and re-assembled:


I think I'm going to investigate threaded inserts for the two bolts I added (and maybe some others that are a pain to fit) and try fitting them the next time I do a deep clean.





No comments: