Search This Blog

Monday 18 February 2019

Screwdriver Test and Stand

I've had the odd small screwdriver set, but never been very impressed with the quality. I have been taking watches apart recently and finally got totally hacked off with the rubbish screwdrivers. So, I decided to throw some money at the problem and buy some expensive screwdrivers to see if they were worth it.
I've bought a cheap set of watchmakers screwdrivers and the quality was a bit better, but still not nice to just handle and use.

So, a large-ish bill later and I was the owner of a selection of screwdrivers from a variety of manufacturers: Bergeon, AF, and some Cousins ones. they are all pretty nice, and do indeed have that 'nice to handle' quality.

Anyway, I had nothing to hold them while working, I could have bought a stand, but my wallet was tired, so I decided to make one. Some 3D modelling and printing and ta da:


Can you spot the screwdriver that cost £37?  Hint: the price includes a barrel.

The stand is made from two parts and uses a 608 bearing to join the two parts:


The screwdrivers themselves seemed to come in two basic sizes, with two diameters of the end of the handles. So, the holes in the top part also come in two different sizes to match:


The screwdrivers are held by the handles, the bits sit in a cone shaped recess in the top.

One thing it needs is a heavier base. I think I may have a go at machining a metal base so that the insertion and removal of drivers is a true one-handled operation.

No comments: