Search This Blog

Wednesday 31 January 2018

Maslow Chain Guide

Maslow Chain Guide


My Maslow CNC was suffering from a jumping chain, which is quite alarming when you are standing near the machine. It mucks up the calibration as well, so it is not a desirable thing to have happen. When this happened before, I used some plywood to lift the chain so that it fed onto the sprocket at the correct angle. This never worked too well as the plywood was not quite the correct thickness to guide the chain properly. After another jump of the chain I decided to 3D print some chain guides.






The guides were created in OpenSCAD, which I use exclusively for all my 3D printed objects. It is parametric, so I can type in the height I want the chain slot to be from the base of the guide and the object generated will be of that size. I need two different distances on each side of the machine, so I'll print two slightly different guides.

I had to file out the guide slot a bit in order to get the chain through the hole, but I'll print the second guide a bit bigger. It's working fine so far, we'll have to see if it has solved the jumping problem...

No comments: