Search This Blog

Saturday 23 March 2019

Thicknesser 

I've got a Jet JWP-12 thicknesser

 

which up until now has always been 'somewhere' in the workshop. When I wanted to use it I have lugged it about (30kg of it) onto whatever surface I have available. getting fed up with this, I made a trolley for it this morning:


I'm not sure what will live underneath it, some thing that don't care if they are covered with sawdust.

It's a nice thicknesser and I have used it quite a bit, probably more than I thought I would. It's a luxury being able to use almost any wood and get it reduced down to size in flat cuboids.

One thing that irritates the rats out of me is the way the infeed and outfeed 'tables' fall down. They are designed to fold up for storage but there's no positive latch action to keep them up and so they are continually falling down. Once down they always seem to be at shin height.


So, I have 3D printed a lever arrangement that is designed to hold the tables up in a positive way.


The lever is attached to a base that screws onto the trolley and allows the lever to swing up under a nice flat area under the edge of the table. When in the down position the base just clears the side.


There's a video of the latches here:


And the Thingiverse files are here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3512480

No comments: