Follow by Email

Monday, 20 July 2015

Vacuum Cleaner Failure

We had an old vacuum cleaner that was on car cleaning duty. It was made by Hoiover and worked quite well. I recently bought some new bags for it, as the old ones had been lunch for a mouse or two. Of course the hoover noticed the new bags and decided that it was a good time to make a horrible noise and destroy it's motor bearings.

Rather than throw it away I thought I'd have a go at fixing it. The whole thing was actually designed to be disassembled, everything was held together with screws, apart from the bearings themselves which were pushed onto the motor axle, and a fan cover, which was also (more loosely) push fit.

I got the bearing part numbers and checked on ebay and lo and behold there were some for sale, so I bought a couple at a very reasonable couple of pounds each.

Next step: remove bearings. After pulling quite hard I tried my bearing puller, but found that it was designed for things that were fitted to tractors, not small electric motors. I bought a smaller puller off ebay and managed to easily get one bearing off. The second was more troublesome as it was quite a distance down the axle. I made longer arms for the puller and that was off too.




After pushing the new bearings on, it was time to re-assemble and try full power again. Good news: there's no nasty noise any more, so hopefully it's fixed. We'll see after the first real hoover of something...

No comments: