Search This Blog

Friday 21 February 2020

Panasonic Lens Fix (Again)


A few posts ago I fixed a Panasonic lens:

https://trochilidae.blogspot.com/2019/12/fixing-panasonic-h-fs014042-lens-i-use.html

When i got it the flanges that mount the lens to the camera had broken off. I suspected this was due to the lens and camera being dropped. Well, I can now confirm that if you drop this camera and lens combination the flanges do indeed break off. Because I have dropped it and they broke off from my 3d printed fix. Not only that, but I also broke the battery door catch, which is a small plastic part. The door is spring loaded and becomes very vulnerable to being snapped off if the catch doesn't work. So, two things to fix now.

The lens mount was a pretty simple fix, I printed another lens mount and did all the manual fiddling, and it worked as well as the first one. Excellent.

The battery clip was a bit harder. It doesn't have a flat surface to use as a bottom surface, and is quite small.

I decided to print the part at 100% infill and use support material. I was expecting to have to manually fit the part anyway, so removing support material is just part of that. I had green filament in the printer, so I used that. These are some prototype parts, and the final part together with an unbroken clip that I removed from another GF1 I have:




The final part I am now using is the one next to the real part. I had to thin down the body of the clip so it fitted in the space it had available for sliding. There is a spring clip that provides a latching action, I hand finished that area with a soldering iron as the printer couldn't manage a good version of that shape. It's the recess with the bar at the bottom of these parts. The part on the right has the raw 3D printed version and it's not any use at all.

Here's the clip in the retracted position:


And in the extended position:



The clip is a bit obvious in green, but it's a signal that it may feel different when using it.


I wish I hadn't dropped it, but, it's fixed...

OpenSCAD file is here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4174540


No comments: