Search This Blog

Saturday 16 April 2016

Pocket Watch

I am attempting to make a new spindle for this watch:






The spindle attaches to the knob that is used to wind the watch and also set the time. It drives the movement with a square end and has a threaded end that the knob screws on to. At some time in the past someone has opened th ecase and hinged the movement out without removing the winder and it has snapped in half.

I've attempted to find out what the thread is on the knob end, and it seems to be 10BA. So I bought a die and tap set for that thread. Unfortunately it didn't fit in my die holder. So I made a spacer for it on the lathe:


I have made a first attempt at the spindle, which was tricky as I didn't have nice easily machinable metal in a suitable size. I managed to make the spindle minus the thread, and unfortunately broke it in half when I attempted to thread the end.

Attempt 2 next...


No comments: