Search This Blog

Thursday 3 March 2016

Bandsaw


The chair project is moving on a bit: I'm going to make a full size model of the chair design using scaffolding planks. These will be routed to shape using templates, the shapes roughly cut before routing. I tried using the Japanese saw and the electric jigsaw, but they both had trouble cutting vertical to the line. So, finally, I have bought a bandsaw. I know, it should be the first tool you buy for the workshop, not the last, but I buy tools as I need them and I never really needed it up until now.  I decided to buy the Axminster BS11-INV, as it has an inverter ( and hence speed control) on the motor, which allows the blade speed to be slowed to the extent that you can cut metal with an appropriate blade. 10mm thick steel apparently.


I've built a base for the saw to sit on, which is itself on a wheeled base so I can move the saw around the workshop. It took three hours one morning to set it up, quite a bit of tweaking here and there was necessary.

Variable speed is nice as you can use the best speed for the job at hand. It looks like it will be a useful tool.

It looks like I won't be able to use scaffolding planks in the final design, the supply is too tricky. I'll have to hunt around for another supply of wood, and that will hopefully let me get something closer in size to the parts so I won't have to remove too much material on the thicknesser.

No comments: