Search This Blog

Thursday 18 February 2016

Pen Set

This is a present, it's all been finished and sent off. Four pens (three pens and a pencil) and a box with space underneath for refills and so on, and a small keyring pen.

The pens are all kit pens and I have used the same acrylic for all of them, so it's a matching set. I matched the kits as well, so there's a definite style to all of the pens.


The blank is a turquoise blue marble and the kits all have a multiple chrome ring in the middle of the pen.

I turned all the pens on the wood lathe:


but I used the metal lathe to make some bushes for the pen making mandrel I use on the wood lathe:


I've done this for almost all the kits I have made. I have also bought some bushes for kits, though.

Polishing of the pens is done using a sequence of abrasive paper grades:


This gives a pretty nice finish to the acrylic, although I sometimes have to run up the grades from rough to super-smooth a few times to remove all the serious scratches.

The pens are mounted in a box on a rack. This was 3D printed and each pen's mounting notch is slightly different to accomodate the different sized pens. It's all covered in black felt paper.


 Underneath the pen rack there's a few compartments for refills and converters and a snug mount for the keyring pen:


I also made a small photobook with some pictures of the pen and box being made and some instructions about how to change refills.

The box is stained and has a brass clasp on the front:









No comments: